1.02.2012

Alidoro

By now, we are all familiar with my obsession with a good sandwich and my obsession with Italy. However, I'm not sure if I ever expressed my obsession for Italian meat, which I guess comes with the sandwich & Italy territory, but I thought I would just blatantly state it for all to hear. I LOVE ITALIAN MEAT! Salami, prosciutto, sopresseta, mortadella, pancetta... I love it all! Put that together with some cheese, arugula, fresh baked bread and spicy peppers and you have me at your disposal. Having a strong craving for one of these Italian subs, I made my way over to Alidoro on Sullivan Street. After reading over the menu, I saw no other sandwich fit, but the Michelangelo [prosciutto, provolone cheese, hot peppers, arugula]. The sandwich is $11, which might seem a little steep, but they are pretty fucking huge. The only way I could finish a whole one of these bad boys is if I was hungover from a night full of tequila  and house music. I also ordered my sandwich on their focaccia, which wasn't greasy or heavy like other focaccia can be. 
My only complaint, however, is the person working behind the counter was illiterate and probably an illegal immigrant. Walking up to tell the man I wanted my sandwich on focaccia I saw he had already took it among himself to make the sandwich on that bread (which costs an extra dollar). Even though I wanted it on that bread - that was strike one. After telling him never mind, I see you already have it on focaccia, he asks me a question. Not understanding broken English from a fucking foreigner I just said yes thinking he asked me if what he was doing was ok. Next thing I know two sandwiches later, our bill was $40. Shocked by the price, the man behind the counter informed us that I actually ordered a third sandwich (which I didn't). Not wanting to cause drama and get the dude deported, we took the sandwich, paid the $40 bucks and left. I'm definitely going back to Alidoro, don't get me wrong, but this time I'm making sure to order and whichever way it comes out is the way I'm going to eat it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment