2.14.2011

Check the Spec


Sometimes I have the hardest time figuring out why some things I come across here in Europe, are nowhere to be found in the States. Example 1: SPECULOOS. You need to try this at least once in your life. It’s difficult to explain, but if I was to put it in words, Speculoos is cookie spread. It’s the consistency of peanut butter, but tastes like a speculoos cookie, or for those who have no clue what that is (like me), it tastes like a gram cracker. 
My friend Lindsay introduced me to this delectable spread while I was visiting her in Paris. Of course you can’t find this stuff in Italy, so my friends and I insisted on bringing back jars of it back with us. After having all our bags searched at security, we were informed that we weren’t allowed to bring our new best friend Speculoos with us on the plane via carryon. My friend Jamie was disappointed, but assumed we would have to leave the Spec behind in Paris. I would not let this happen! With no time left to waste I sprinted to the Air France counter to check my bag. There was no way I was letting go of my Speculoos! 
*Breaking News* After doing some research, I found that the Wafels & Dinges truck in NYC (amazing wafles!) has Speculoos! It's labeled on their menu as "their favorite"...how I never realized this before is mind boggling to me. Speculoos on a warm belgium waffle. That's love right there!


2 comments:

  1. In the USA it is sold under the name Biscoff and... you can get the cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom found Biscoff in the super market & had it waiting for me when I got back home. Love it!

      Delete