6.15.2012

Holy Heaven

Every single time I bite into one of my mom's rugelach I think to myself, "is there anything really better then this?" Well poor little naive me. There is! [Sorry Mom]. Let me take to to Jerusalem, Israel where right outside the shuk is a bakery called Marzipan. Floor to ceiling walls covered in freshly baked Israeli pastries. The smell just as enticing as the site. It almost knocked me off my feet. I should have known that only the holy land could produce something this delicious...
My friend Katie and I walked into Marizpan only expecting to get one Burekas [a savory pastry that comes with a variety of fillings], but we left with much more. 
Spinach & Cheese Burekas

Cinnamon Rugelach
Chocolate Rugelach
With an overwhelming selection, we had to take a step back and focus in on what we really wanted. We went with a mushroom burekas [not pictured], a spinach & cheese burekas, chocolate rugelach and cinnamon rugelach. First of all, these burekas are out of this world. It's like a Jewish empanada topped off with sesame seeds, but savory aside, these rugelachs were hands down the best I have ever had [and I have had a lot of rugelach over the past 22 years]. However, the winner goes to the cinnamon. If I could really describe in words how this tasted, I would, but I can't...Only 11 hours on a plane plus a short bus ride can get you there! It's worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment