12.02.2012

Amo El Toro Blanco

I mean really, did you expect anything less? Senor Chef Capon does it again! It's starting to seem like anything Chef touches turns to gold. Walking into El Toro Blanco on a Thursday at 9pm, expect to see a crowd of good looking Manhattanites, having a great time, enjoying muy bueno food, and downing delicious cocktails. 
 El Toro Margherita
guacamole x salsa
Guacamole is my jam, but a good guacamole can be hard to find. I feel like I'm constantly eating over mashed, over salted, and over all bad guacamole, but not here! El Toro's guaco is the real deal. The texture is dead on with just the right amount of acidity, not to mention the chips! Next, the salsa....Hello Diablo! At first bite, you wouldn't even know it was hot, but then it hits you...in the best way possible. Love that Diablo! 
Tostada Chopped Salad 
I know this doesn't look like much, but trust me, it's the picture... it just sucks. A bowl of romaine, black beans, roasted corn, jicama, avocado  queso fresco dressed in lime vinaigrette topped off with some crispy tortilla flats has never tasted so good. Light and crunchy, I could have eaten three more bowls of this!
Elote Verde Tamale
Here's a little FYI: I'm obsessed with tamales. Like all kinds of tamales - vegetarian, chicken, pork...as long as there's masa involved, I'll probably love it. El Toro's tamale is no exception. Doused in queso fresco and green chile salsa, I truly debated ordering another. 
Charred Octopus Tacos
Now, more then ever, I've been on an octopus kick. If octopus is on a menu, there's a 98% chance I'll order it, so when I saw octo-tacos, there was no holding back. Topped with citrus slaw, avocado, radish, cilantro, and roasted jalapeno aioli, it was a total party in ya mouth! 
Carne Tampiquena
I shared this dish with my friends and truth be told, I wish I didn't. I wish I ordered this for myself and ate the whole thing alone. Perfectly cooked [medium-rare..duh!] skirt steak with a Mexican cheese enchilada, salse verde, chimichurri, and cactus salad. It was like two for one! A plate of non-kosher amazingness. I made sure every bite of steak was accompanied by a piece of cheese enchilada and bathed in that green sauce. This dish is a must order! 
Pescado Veracruzano
With the success of Chef Capon's other restaurant, Lure Fishbar, we all know he does fish well, real well. The same goes for the fish at El Toro Blanco. The pan roasted snapper in a light Veracruz sauce is another must order. The fish had the crispiest skin that a fish lover could ask for. 
Elote de Calle 
Okay, okay - one more thing I'm obsessed with...grilled Mexican corn, with cayenne and Cotija cheese. I can't get enough of that shit, so when I saw it on the menu...yes, I had to order it! I'm sure glad I did. Cut off the cob was one of the most genius moves ever. Kudos JC! It relieves you from having to worry about getting the corn kernels stuck all up in your teeth. It's the chic way of eating corn ;) 

Writing this post and reliving my meal was a tease within itself. Take it from me, Eater, and all the other amazing write ups, that El Toro Blanco is the hottest restaurant in New York City. I'm calling tomorrow - totally have to reserve a table for Cinco de Mayo! ARIBA! 

257 Sixth Ave.
New York, NY
212.645.0193

No comments:

Post a Comment