2.15.2012

Oak at Fourteenth

Its been a while since I've had a meal totally knock my socks off. Boulder has some great restaurants, don't get me wrong, but I always find myself going to the same ones. After a while they loose their excitement, so when the special occasion of my roommate's birthday came around I decided to take the bull by the horns and go try a restaurant that very few people I know have been to. 
The amount of times I've past by Oak by Fourteenth isn't okay, but yet I never went in. Unfortunately a while back a fire got out of control and destroyed the restaurant. About 9 months later Oak re-opened completely remodeled and ready to take over Boulder. Ever since this re-opening I've been seeing amazing reviews pop up all over the internet. It was almost like a sign from God. Everywhere I clicked, I read something amazing about this place and it immediately moved up to my #1 must try in Boulder.
Stalking their menu for a week prior to the reservation, I walked in there knowing exactly my plan of attack. Every single thing that hit our table tonight was unreal. The dishes, simple yet very original, led all my friends and I to moan...maybe a little too much? 
We started off our first round of courses with a sampling of dishes from the shared plates section of their menu.
Lasater Farm Braised Meatballs & Burrata, Anson Mills Grits
Fried Risotto & Feta Fritters, Pomegranate Molasses, Roasted Peppers, Dill
Organic Shetland Salmon "Crudo" White Asparagus, Tomatillo, Yuzu
Crispy Fried Pickles & Green Goddess Aioli
With expectations set high from what we had already eaten, the next round of food, from their small plate section, was not a disappointment, to say the least. 
Wood Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, Cinnamon Spiced Marshmallow
Honey Crisp Apple & Kale Salad, Parmesan, Togarashi, Almonds
Now, as our stomachs start to fill, our main dishes come out and are just as equally irresistibly. The fact that I made my friends hold back their knives and forks in order to snap a pic was not okay. I feared my life for a good 2 minutes.
Wood Grilled Rocky Junior Chicken
Gruyere & Roasted Garlic Stuffing, Baby Carrots, Chicken Jus
Pan Roasted Striped Bass
PEI Mussels, Cerignola Olives, Oregano & Chickpeas
I don't have the exact description but I'll give it a try:
Taggliate w/ Scallops, Shrimp, and PEI Mussels in a Lemon Butter Sauce
Oak Grilled Hoisin Glazed Shortribs
Roasted Squash, Jalapeno & House Made Beef Jerky Salad
Officially in food comas, we seemed to get some sort of a second wind. Having a taste of the birthday root beer float, we knew instantaneously we have to check out their dessert menu. I mean it was a special occasion and all, how could we not? 
Sadly enough, I also don't have the descriptions of the desserts. I wish I could because they were unreal, but....Three more desserts later,  someone needed to rolls us out of there. Needless to say I kind of want to go back tomorrow. Would they think I was stalking them? The food is just that good. Dinner = unreal. Staff = friendly, cute, and attentive. Hopefully they also do take out because I'll be all up on that. Be it lunch, dinner, or late night - I'm so making my way back here real soon! 

2 comments:

  1. hey Kate, looks great, so glad you enjoyed it.i know DIane did, thanks for celebrating with her. greg.

    ReplyDelete